"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday 7 September 2008

An Afterthought

I had a thought while drying the dishes. The parade of lawyers retained and instructed by the Mayor referred to in the previous post have not solely been employed to make a case against me myself alone.

Former Mayor Tim Jones was the first target. There were two lawyers, months of consultations and written opinions not shared with council and finally attendance at a closed session.

During the by-election debate, a lawyer was brought to the council table to steer councillors to the right decision. He was there to provide substance to a weak and contrived argument and to convince the community that all was in order.

Lawyers have been involved behind the scenes in an activity which was both demeaning and degrading to everyone who participated; except for those whose objective was being served.

After my surgery, I gave a lot of thought to how I could continue to participate as a member of this council. Grace Marsh's resignation was a personal blow. I seriously pondered my own stamina. As part of the consistent minority and under the persistent vacuous performance of Mayor Morris, how could I make a valid contribution?

The answer has evolved; the action against John Rogers; the effect on other staff members; the ongoing and transparent determination that one way or another I must be silenced and all criticism squelched has stiffened my resolve.

For forty years I have relied on my own common sense and skills of persuasion to exert my influence on each successive council. Sometimes I was successful. Other times not. I never sensed any lack of respect. Successes outnumbered failures and that was the most I expected from involvement in the democratic process.

If I have had any influence on this council, it is not obvious to me. There is no satisfaction in being a powerless witness to actions which violently offend my sense of fairness and integrity. Discipline acquired over the years does not serve me well in these circumstances.

There is only one option to validate my principles. Whatever I can do to inform people of what may not always be obvious when they watch council on television.I will fill in the blanks.

I will acquire the play by play skills of Don Cherry in the game of politics as she is played in the Town of Aurora in the year of 2008-9-10.

Watch this spa ce.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.Despite the naysayers I enjoy reading your perspective on the shenanigans going on at Aurora Council.
You certainly make more sense than Phyllis and her trusty sidekick Evalina who have taken over town council.By the way the blame for this mess rests with the voters. They voted in the likes of Phyllis despite the warnings, ( personally told a door to door Morris canvaser that Phyllis and Town staff would be a toxic mix). They even voted an individual who promised to cut taxes and lower crime! Since both are outside his juridiction, he just votes with the Morris clique. What a mess. Keep up the good work!!!

Unknown said...

Ms. Buck,

I think that you are undervaluing your contributions to Aurora's council. Perhaps your greatest contribution to Aurora's political nightmare is the fact that you have been so persistent in ensuring that the citizens of Aurora have had a place to go to learn about what is going on with council from a perspective that is not shared by the Mayor.

Thoughtful dissent often proves to be far more powerful than agreement reached under the influence of fear.

Some people may not like it, but your perspectives continue to be valued by more than I believe you to give yourself credit for.

As always there are a significant number of us that deeply value what you continue to do despite the roadblocks that you seem to face so regularly.

Anonymous said...

Councillor Buck, I've never been your biggest fan, but I truly believe you are making great contributions in highlighting the issues that involve waste and hypocracy with this Mayor and council.
Please load your blogs with as much facts as possible. People can spin perception, but facts are documented proof of the issues.
I look forward to reading your blogs, and I can respect your opinion if it does differ from mine.
Something Mayor Morris needs to learn, but I won't hold my breath.

Anonymous said...

You contribution is required now more than ever.

Please keep the faith.