"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday 14 September 2008

Pragmatism

I am surprised when people, particularly politicians find it easy to tout ethics and moral conduct. In the last term of council, Councillor Morris gave notice several times that she intended to update the Code of Ethics. I indicated I looked forward to the debate. If it was forced upon me, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss what I considered to be unethical conduct.I had more than enough examples.

No motion ever came forward. Just as well.

I recently recalled the night when Minor Baseball parents came to state their case and ask for help. When I related to a friend what happened that night, he expressed admiration for Mayor Morris' skill at "handling" the situation.

Well there you go, I thought. He thought it was an admirable talent and I thought it illustrated a lack of integrity and complete disrespect for the people we are sworn to serve.

I have long since come to terms with the fact that my standards are not shared by everyone nor even appreciated by many. That's why the idea of imposing what I believe to be right is not only abhorrent but quite unlikely to be effective. But my standards are mine and I will defend them.

I recently had a lengthy discussion with a veteran municipal public servant about the intent of the Municipal Act governing issues discussed behind closed doors.

I learned early it is foolish to imagine one understands government regulations simply by reading. The intent of an act is only understood by its consistent province wide application. How it withstands a court challenge demonstrates its merit..

It is the job of the Municipal Clerk to keep him or herself informed in these matters. Ontario is a large Province. The Municipal Family is not. Communication is essential and ongoing. If a municipality encounters a problem, chances are it has happened elsewhere and a solution has been found...or not. The family is an essential resource.

Until last term, I always believed it was the Town Clerk's Statutory responsibility to keep the municipality functioning within Provincial Law. I said so to former CAO, Larry Allison. He vehemently assured me I was wrong. Council can ignore the clerk. He is subject to their authority. They were elected.

It was because of my sense of what that council was about that I made the query. I was not comforted by his response.

My recent conversation was about the rule governing confidentiality. If a member believes the rule is being abused and bad things are happening under its cover, how can the member be bound by that rule?

It was a rhetorical question. I already knew the answer. A councillor who deplores actions by the majority has an obligation to separate him or herself. Democracy means the majority rules. It means the right to be wrong. For the public to form a judgement, they have a right to hear all the arguments.

The Code of Conduct approved by this council is badly written, unenforceable and clearly viewed by the majority as a club with which to beat the minority into silence.

I have not signed it.

Let's see how it stands up to a challenge.

No comments: