"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 25 February 2009

I just remembered

I have no filing system. Every time I need something I have to turn over a pile of pages one by one. I was looking this morning for stuff about the sports fields in our parks that need to be fenced and I came across a list of invoices for legal services. They reminded me of a question I asked in the budget meeting last Saturday.

If the Court orders a Consolidated Board on the Westhill Golf Course proposal, legal costs will be double that of a normal hearing. A Consolidated Board would take at least twice as long.. Cost estimate is half a million dollars. Mine was the solitary vote in opposition to that piece of insanity. Neighbouring residents were taking the matter to court at their expense as was their right. There was no requirement for the town to spend taxpayers resources in that action.

Last Saturday I asked if we had the half million dollars in the budget,in the event a Consolidated Board Hearing. is ordered. (three government agencies preside).

The Mayor responded we should not speculate. I indicated I had asked a precise question. I was seeking an exact answer. If I didn't get it, I would speculate.

The Treasurer's answer.... if needed the funds will be taken from a legal reserve of $200, thousand. An estimate of $500.thousand has been made for legal costs alone if a Consolidated Board is granted. If there was sufficient conviction to expend funds for legal costs to support the need, in my view, sufficient funds to cover costs for such a Hearing, need to be included in the 2009 budget. Not adding them in doesn't mean they won't be spent. It means the budget forecast will be deflated. It will not reflect the reality of what this council is about.

No comments: