"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 11 June 2009

Comments on Youtube Video Post

I've published a string of comments without a clear understanding of their meaning.

I didn't know the Moderator of The Aurora Citizen. I didn't want to know. It was enough that it was someone with a handle on things.

Once past the nasties, readership has been growing . People are enjoying the action.

It's normal to avoid political argument because of the chance of hostility. .Political chat with a neighbour or friend is usually constrained because it's not sensible to jeopardise a comfortable relationship.

That's why the opportunity to hold forth in anonymity on a Blog is useful. Gossip is a normal social function.

Exchanging views is my stock in trade.People have a right to know where a politician stands.

At the same time , the working relationship on a council needs to be nurtured. After one decision, then it's on to the next .

An astute politician never goes out of her/his way to make enemies. It reduces the possibility for civil discourse. Politics is not a science. It's the Art of Persuasion and Possibility.

I realise my style grates on people who don't share my views. I've practiced it long enough. Once understood that I'm doing what I believe, it normally stops being a hindrance.

This council has been different. It was abundantly clear from the beginning, there would be one way. the Morris- MacEachern way. No differences would be tolerated. The mission would be to seek and destroy.

I had to consider options on how best to hold my end up. I created a role though it's not entirely new. I've been writing about Aurora's affairs for more than forty years. While I held office, the need to be compatible put a crimp in my style. When it proved to be unattainable, there were no holds barred.

The community is my oyster.

Let's keep talking you and I. But try not to be esoteric.

1 comment:

My Kinda Town said...

Speaking of Youtube videos, somebody posted three minutes from an Aurora Council meeting. It starts off slow, but gets better, and better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSe38dzJYkY

MKT