"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 10 July 2009

A Quick Note

My garden was neglected last year . It always means double the effort to bring back a semblance of order. It is quite remarkable how quickly a garden can assume the character of wilderness if left unattended.

I like gardening. It's one of those contemplative endeavours that allow thoughts to roam while achieving immediate satisfaction of restoring physical order from chaos one piece at a time.

This year my daughter Heather is giving much of her time and I need to be alongside doing what I can. Even while thinking about how to keep readers up to date on town business. My daughters are both completely involved.

I previously indicated I had been assured that documentation of legal costs for the last three years would be forthcoming. Three times. On Wednesday I received an e-mail indicating my request is being denied due to a council resolution giving precise instructions to the Town Treasurer how to compile his report on legal expenditures.

Town expenditures are a matter of public record. Refusal of my request therefore is simply a matter of refusing to compile the material and provide it. The information cannot be withheld.

I will be dealing with that. Right now I have to hang out my laundry and do some tilling with the garden claw.

Yesterday and today, I've spent several hours on the phone to municipalities within the region and one without, to confirm my understanding, from long experience, how legal services and expenditures are handled.

Now I have to put the information in order , in order to write an orderly presentation .

Gardening will help with that and hanging out the laundry will help too.

Stay tuned.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looking forward to it!!!

Shaking My Head In Disgust said...

If the much-vaunted (yet often fallacious), "open and transparent" governance isn't attainable by a councillor, what chance do the rest of us have?!

What a sorry state of affairs this mayor and her minions are foisting on us. And for what? I don't see a political advantage as Cllr Buck is merely one vote among nine, after all. It is purely personal, a demonstration of power justified by the perceived slights they think they experienced at the hands of previous political foes.

How much Town resources (money, time and energy) have been expended on a personal vendetta? You'd think Evelyn Buck was the most powerful person in Aurora, some malevolent force that the 'Clothesline Crusaders' must combat.

What a joke and what a waste of taxpayers' money!