"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 7 September 2009

My First Fight on Council

A resident with status obtained a residential building permit. The property was on Yonge Street.
The fee for connecting town services was several times more for residential than industrial. When it came time to connect to services, he asked for the lesser rate for industrial.

The request came to Council. Everybody was agreeable except myself. The applicant was a congenial individual and had contributed to the community. But I argued against the lower fee.The property is either residential or industrial. It can't be both. The residential fee was the right one.

The debate was public and the merits of my argument stood the test.

Afterwards a veteran Councillor commented ,in my hearing, "She doesn't have a nickel so she's jealous of someone who does"

My social status or perceived lack thereof was regularly commented on then too. It's what unintelligent people do because they have nothing else to offer.

It was an early lesson in what to expect when I took a position contrary to the majority.

I was undeterred.

The term of office was two years. The position of Reeve became vacant. Two veterans declared themselves. They knocked on doors early in my neighbourhood. The word came back that they were advising residents not to vote for me again.

I decided if I had to fight them, it might as well be for the office they were contending. I became the last Reeve of Aurora with more votes than the two of them combined.

Readers often ask how I stand up to the constant barrage of disrespect

It's not hard. It's part and parcel of politics though not usually so shameless. It illustrates a desperate dearth of understanding of how the average voter feels about their right to select a council.

I am never alone. The people who cast their vote in my favour in the last election are with me always..

And Blog is my friend and supporter.

Being able to fill in bits and pieces which would otherwise never become known is a great source of comfort and satisfaction. Of course it infuriates the Mormac team and their supporters. More so because the info I provide cannot be refuted. I never put words into their mouths. They never fail to oblige me.

Even a custom-designed Code of Conduct with the "penalties" they so crave has not served their purpose .

I have kind of an old-fashioned opinion about " acceptable" conduct for elected officials.. If a mature adult needs to consult a manual for good behaviour, he certainly does not merit a vote based on trust or judgement.

Pshaw.

As for accountability ... that's what elections are about. But four years between them is too damned long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see that there is another "special" meeting of Council being held tomorrow (Sept 8), appointing Mr. Cooper as Acting Town Clerk, and then yet another closed session to discuss "personal matters about an identifiable individual". One can only guess as to the topic. Evelyn, will you be allowed to attend this meeting?

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I enjoyed this post. It says a lot about who you are and where you stand. You fight to the end Evelyn! You have my support.

Council Cop said...

I have not always agreed with you Councillor, but I'm with you on this one. We should be able to have civil and well informed debate but in Aurora neither seem to apply these days.

We should be capable of agreeing to disagree given that is what politics is all about, but in this town we have adopted the cut throat variety of civil service. It's too bad but I expect this too will change eventually.