"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 6 October 2009

The Switch Didn't Happen.

I told you I hate making changes. I have been a customer of Aurora Cable since Aurora Cable came into being and of Bell Telephone longer than that.

I know Bell isn't what it once was and I had no experience of their television or Internet services.
But Rogers wasn't what Aurora Cable was and I yearned for that.

I decided to switch and take Bell's package.

Back in July, I spent more than an hour discussing the package.. It would cost less than I was paying to two providers. The hour I actually spent in discussion did not include the time it took to actually reach a living voice.

Don't you just love it when after several minutes of disembodied instructions, you find yourself presented with several options to choose, none of which fit your purpose?

Then, mindful of the time it takes to get that far, you take a stab at one. It puts you in touch, with someone who can't help you but transfers you to with someone they hope can...help that is. But there's no guarantee.

My eventual discussion ended with agreement I would call on Monday to confirm the order. It meant I had to call Rogers and cancel at a date which would mean service would not be interrupted.

I didn't do that.

A month later , on the agreed upon date which had not been confirmed by me, two technicians showed up separately at my door.

It was Saturday

I sent them away. Since I had not confirmed and notified Rogers, I felt it was wise.

Subsequently, at the end of August, I went through the process again . I did notify Rogers, with regret, to disconnect the service on October 4th because I was switching to Bell on October 3rd.

Again it was Saturday.

Rogers sent me a bill to close the account. I paid that.

The day came.

I waited for phone calls. announcing separate arrivals of two technicians.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Amen.

At two-thirty pm, I called Bell. Went through the tortuous routine noted above. After thirty minutes of waiting because my call was important to them, I finally reached one of their operators.

Of course it wasn't an operator who could handle the matter. I was transferred. After lengthy explanations and checks into this and that ,we had almost concluded the matter, when the phone disconnected.

I waited for a call back. It would certainly have been easier to reach me than it is for me to reach the person I was talking to, whose name and department I knew not, after waiting Heaven knows how long because my call was important to them for the next available operator because all of their operators are busy at the moment because they are having an unusually heavy list of calls.

It didn't happen.

Oh my Lord, I had to do it all over again. Now it was about 4.30p.m.

This time the operator I eventually reached ,discovered the appointment was still on but it was for p.m. That meant they would be here around 7.30p.m.

I waited . In vain.

Now.... my service with Rogers would be terminated on Sunday and I would be isolated from the world .

That didn't happen on Sunday.

But on Monday morning , I was without Internet service.

I called Rogers. Explained my dilemma. Discussed their newly advertised bundle. Learned I could have more t.v.channels and other upgrades for less money than Bell's bundle.

I bought it.

The switch didn't happen.

I have not contacted Bell.

They have not contacted me.

Now I am going to tell you with absolute certainty....things never used to be like this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe Fate intervened and did what was best for you. You would have regretted the move to Bell. I believe in supporting Canadian employees and have been very disturbed by Bell's call centre in India. I was a long term Bell customer (internet, phone, cell phones) and I put up with being lied to and misled for years. I finally decided enough was enough, and whenever I encountered a rude customer service person (which was often) I would cancel a Bell service. The cell phones fell first, and I discovered that Rogers reception is soooo much better. Internet fell next, followed by home phone when Rogers offered me a really well-priced bundle. I am happier than I have been in years and you will be too! Rogers is much superior to Bell, in almost every way, and they have their call centre in Canada.

White Knight said...

I have been a customer of Shaw, Rogers, ACI and Bell.
I sure miss ACI...none of the others is a patch on ACI.

Robert the Bruce said...

I have enjoyed reading various reports from people with their problems with Rogers since the ACI sellout and there is an equal number of Bell problems out there.

Reality is, you will only read about people's negative experiences with any company. Very few will take the time to write about positive experiences.

Personally, I have had no problems with the Rogers switch over. I only had TV with them. I will admit, the Rogers bill is slightly higher than ACI but that is caused by some of the options I elected to take. I went to the Rogers store when I received the notice in the mail. I picked up the new Rogers box and did all the paperwork. On the appointed day, I unplugged the ACI box - plugged in the Rogers box and it worked. No downtime, no problems.

I am associated with a non-profit club in the area and we recently decided to install Bell TV (previously ExpressVu). I called the toll free number on a Wednesday and placed the order. I was told to expect a call within 24-48 to arrange the installation. I had a call 2 hours later and they asked if I could do the install the next morning at 9:00am. I agreed. At noon the next day, the dish was installed, the receivers configured and 2 TVs (one HD) were working with the new service. In all cases, I dealt with english speaking Canadians.

I also use Bell cellular service and home telephone services. I have no negative reports at all. I have heard the problems that people have, I don't know why I have been so lucky - but I work in the IT/Communications industry and I understand the process - maybe that has something to do with it.

A word of advice to those that complain about getting India when they call Bell. First of all, Bell no longer farms out tech support to India, they do however tend to employ immigrant Canadians on tech support that have accent issues. However, if you want to speak to someone that is not Indian, when you call Bell, select the option for FRENCH on the phone. You will be sent to the call centre in Montreal. When you get there, a bilingual person will answer the phone - just tell them you must have pressed the wrong option. They will however serve you.

Fuimus