"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 15 October 2009

Who said Corruption?

I said a meeting was " rigged"

Somebody responded " that's a serious allegation. Do you mean to suggest the corruption started three years ago? "

Who said anything about corruption?

In political discourse, all manner of comments are simply par for the course.

Corruption means an illegal act, harmful to another. Like exploiting the trust of a senior to steal from them.

Tampering with weights and measures so as not to give fair value.

Copying a person's bank card to steal from them .

Extortion is corruption. Cheating an employee out of wages . Abuse of power over anyone who can't fight back, comes close.

Is corruption stuff that happens during an election campaign?

Perish the thought.

Adjectives galore exist to describe election campaign activities. I have been known to coin a few.

Politics is not Sunday School. A candidate with little to offer is far more likely to say nasty stuff about a fellow contender.

"Don't vote for that fellow. His mother wears army boots"

Voters have a role to play in judging what they are hearing and reading.

Candidates can fight back.

When I came back to Council in 1981, George Timpson was Mayor. I guess he thought he'd better let me know right away who was boss.

Experience mitigates against some decisions. A person functioning in the public eye, is more likely to lose their cool than otherwise.

George banged the gavel .

A Mayor is not a judge with absolute control and officers to enforce his rule.

A Mayor depends on mutual respect from members to maintain order and decorum . Everyone loses with a presiding member who has no idea what it takes to preside.

Anyway...George banged the gavel. I reacted. The only thing at hand was the little marble pen-holder bearing my name. I picked it up and banged right back at him...hard.

George was stunned. Eleanor Stoddard , a new Councillor, went down the stairs weeping at the end of her first meeting.

Ronnie and Dickie (Wallace and Illingworth) had a talk show on Aurora Cable. They invited me on the show and prompted an explanation.

"Well," I said, "it's like hockey: if somebody smashes you into the boards, you don't wait for the referee to come to the rescue"

"You smash back. Because if you don't, they will take turns smashing you into the boards "

George never did it again.

Politics is not a blood sport. But it's not for sissies. Shrinking violets need not apply. .

Play dirty and you risk it back.

Public humiliation is never forgotten.

My advice to anyone who needs it:

There's no need to plan and scheme. Relax ... watch and wait....the opportunity will present itself .... you will recognise it the second you see it.

That's not corrupt. It's holding your own in an arena of your choice.

Robert the Bruce enjoys having his say on various issues. That's a good thing. I always read what he has to say. He knows about some things that I don't.

Since the blogs started,The Bruce has indicated more than once, he thinks I no longer have a place in the town's affairs.

He has objected strenuously to my habit of letting people know things, they have a right to know, from my perspective. He benefits but he insists it's wrong.

He has indicated his preference for two current councillors in the next election. I am not one.

It's his right to state his position.

I do not complain.

A whining politician is a wretched figure..

My intent is to fulfill my commitment of the last election as opposed to working on the next during the current term.

If I read Robert's disapproval as bias against me on the basis of my age and experience, that's how I read it.

.

No comments: