"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 7 December 2009

History

I started the Blog on December 2006. In August 2007 , I started the political post.I waited seven months for a working relationship to emerge. It didn't.

Without re- reading the posts I realise they reflect negatively on how this council has functioned.

I'm aware of that. And how easily it can be argued it's because of my bias. It is hard to refute.
It may even be true. But what can be made of it.

It's Christmas. The Season of Good Will to All in the Name of The Christ Child. Surely I can think of something warm and positive.

It's hard.

I am looking at a document. I received it rolled like a parchment scroll of old and tied with a golden ribbon.

It 's an invitation to a Council and Senior Staff Celebration at Church Street School on Friday, December 18Th.

My first reaction was what! ... Another night ...whose idea was this?

Then I heard of the separation between senior staff and all others.

Then came a request for a response. I decided to decline.

Next came a notice of change of venue from Church Street School to the home of Mayor Morris
and husband Brian.

The rumour mill is active. I heard some staff indicated they would not attend the afternoon
celebration for lesser lights and were threatened accordingly.

Now I'm looking at the first proclamation before I discard it. It's very nice. Quite beautiful in fact. Probably took a day to design.

Old habits are hard to break. Questions occur. The document took time to create. The host is not indicated. Who decided ? Which budget? The venue has changed. What's to be made of that?

After all three years of tortuous evenings of sitting with hands folded, colleagues disappearing , new ones appearing, eyes downcast, listening to endless meaningless, pointless, contradictory often hostile commentary, why would senior staff be any more inclined to spend another evening in the company of a tense and fractious council than lower level staff are inclined to accept an invitation that isn't ?

Do my thoughts reflect my bias?

Or does the situation simply defy logic?

Probably a bit of both.

5 comments:

Elizabeth Bishenden said...

Evelyn, just go to the party.

Look people in the eye. You know who supports you and who can't meet your glance. Are you expecting any worse behaviour that someone not meeting your glance?

If you think there might be someone at the party that you can't look in the eye, make your peace ahead of time. Or ignore that individual.

It is nice of the Mayor and her family to host an event for the staff and council in their home. There will undoubtedly be expenses that will be billed back to the town. Well, it still is obviously a town event, and if the accounting is clear, then why not?

Anonymous said...

The situation defies logic--nobody ever said you would find logic in the Aurora town hall.

White Knight said...

We all have thoughts; we all have biases. Sometimes our thoughts, comments, body language reflect our biases and sometimes not so much. We are human and having these traits is one of the reasons that we are not chewing the cud in a field somewhere and elevates our intellect (some of us, anyway) above the animals.
We were given the gift of being able to articulate our thoughts and rationalize and analyze them and express them coherently (again, some more than others.
A blog is a means of expression with all its pluses and minuses. In life we have to take the good with the bad; weigh up "fors" and "againsts". Imagine though if we had no means of expression. Oh my God (deliberate profanity) what a sorry world it would be and what a mess we would be in! Just keep it going, Councillor Buck, it's one of the few forums we have... (wonder if arrogant Hugo will correct my plural of "forum" and reprimand me for profanity).

Anonymous said...

Will there be music from the St. Kitt's? I hope so.

Anonymous said...

I will be going to the Mayor's Christmas party. I am not employed by the town nor am I elected to serve this town. However, I am a TAXPAYER and thus am helping to fund this affair. It is only right that I attend what I am paying for.