"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 12 December 2009

Should You Be A Candidate?

  • When first elected, I had everything to learn. My work experience lent nothing. I had seven children in my house, the youngest ten months old.

Nothing daunted, I faced the challenge. I sought a seat twice before I was successful on the third try.

My life has been forever transformed. No university could match the education I have acquired as a Councillor.

In the beginning, I did not know what I didn't know.

An early campaign claim ; "I 'm as good as the best and better than the rest "

The last one, "Aurora deserves the best".

Within weeks of being first elected, a discussion took place on something to do with the waterworks site (Park Place Manor). Angus MacGregor, Superintendent of Public Works responded to a suggestion I made;

"You'd need a sky hook to get in there"

I replied defiantly;

"If that's what it takes then that's what we should use"

The roar of laughter that went up from the fourteen men present literally vibrated the windows.

They didn't smirk or sneer, roll their eyes or cast sly sidelong glances at one another. They
laughed and enjoyed the inadvertent comedy at my expense but without malice.

I blushed to my waist, learned a new expression, acquired a little humility and caution and carried on undiminished.

A debate is about thinking on your feet. Words may come easily. Quick reaction may be an error. Timing is everything and a moment lost may not come again.

Anyone can make mistakes and everyone does. It's how they are dealt with that makes the difference between a political team that works together and one that doesn't.

The drama is real though there is no script. Reason is expressed as it occurs. Confidence comes with practice. Having a worthy opponent and an audience sharpens the natural wit...like a forge, a hammer and an anvil.

It's a skill like no other. Unique to the individual. Trial and error is the teacher but it's always
in the public eye. Veterans are often willing to share knowledge and experience.

A valiant effort is well worthwhile.

1 comment:

someone who loves this town more than politics said...

Evelyn I applaud your experience, your brutal honesty, your conviction and your poetics

no one else could sum it up as effective as: "Anyone can make mistakes and everyone does. It's how they are dealt with that makes the difference between a political team that works together and one that doesn't."

because if you were to follow any of the mainstream media no one else makes mistakes, only you, and mistakes are horrible things that should be covered up like dog doo.

You are only one at the municipal level that can claim "I 'm as good as the best and better than the rest "

Please us this as your slogan for 2010 and bury this current lot of lunatics in the mire of dog doo that they have shoveled on themselves.