"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 1 June 2010

A Pending Matter of Surplus

Sometimes I put it off . If I had no success in even sparking curiosity, whether in the press or council, yet it seems terribly obvious to me, I get to feeling the problem must be me.

Dick Illingworth had a favourite joke:

"Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away."

Now I'm ready to tackle the exercise.

On May 4th, we had a report on contract awards for three road construction projects budgeted for this taxation year. .

They came in at $1.231,666.40 under budget. With a recommendation surplus funds be returned to the source.

Councillor Wilson was especially pleased. He commended the Director, who responded it was the result of new staff complement and being able to do the job better.

Well, you know how people say, I'm such a downer. Sometimes when people are so optimistic,it's hard to do what I have to do. Especially when I know how it will be received .

The Mayor will roll her eyes, drop her head in despair and adopt that tone of voice, you know the one, the long-suffering tone of martyr to the cause.

So I waited for the next opportunity. When the committee report would be presented to Council for approval.

Then I did what I believe I was elected to do. With cameras as my witness.

I had to.I knew the result beforehand but if I didn't do it where I'm supposed to do it. in the council meeting, the story wouldn't be complete and I couldn't tell you about it here.

A million dollars surplus is not a sign of competence.It's an alarm bell. It's money collected from our pockets which should stay right where it is.

So, I examined the figures. They did not lie.

Tender 4.1 Nisbet Drive and Sandusky

Contract totals for water and sanitary portion; $10,993.33

Budget totals(estimates) $535,255.00.

The work was over-estimated by $524,261.67


Tender 4.2 Kemano Road, Sioux Gate and Foreht Crescent

Contract totals for water and sanitary portion: nil

Budget totals(estimates) $211,697.00

The work was over-estimated by $211,697.00


Tender 4.3 Davis Drive and Jones Court.

Contract totals for water and sanitary portion: $295,258.62

Budget totals (estimates): $700.454.00

The work was over-estimated by $494.195.38

There were many and various tables in the report. Figures I cited had to be referred to while flipping pages.I sought Council's indulgence before I started.

The final recommendation was the surplus be returned to the source.

Not so much as a flicker of interest was expressed at the Council table.

When I finished, the Mayor asked if there was a question in my comments.

There was no question . I made the point . Funds not required were included in contract budgets. A Surplus in excess of a million dollars appeared to be deliberate.

If the Director had a response, I was ready to listen.

But the Director was hesitant and the Mayor quickly directed the Treasurer to reassure Council.

Apparently he did.

No debate ensued. No questions asked.

We moved on to the next item on the agenda.

Now my friends, in the quiet, calm of computer land, did you find those figures difficult to comprehend ?

Or do you see it. like I do, for what it is?

4 comments:

Resident said...

That's some incompetent estimating...

Or is it deliberate padding..

Anonymous said...

Are you suggesting that staff were instructed to purposely produce budgets/estimates that were far in excess of what would be needed to create the illusion of competency, with the attendant positive "glow" shining on current council in an election year?

Tim the Enchanter said...

Either the budgeting has been badly mangled or the work done is far less ambitious than what was originally proposed.

Question.

Can you explain the term "returned to the source" please?
Returned to the roads department?
Returned to general revenue?
Is this million now available for other projects?

Goodie Two Shoes said...

What happens and it so often does, when a resident comes and says they don't like what has happened to the road and their property as a result of road reconstruction? Do they shell out the million on a few more residents like they did on Knowles Cres? Do we really expect the numbers to remain like this until these projects are finished or are things really just an illusion because some think that people are really not paying that much attention. So in other words, are these numbers just looking good for today and when all is said and done they really do reflect the true cost of these roads being reconstructed? Oh the spin I am getting a head ache!