"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 6 July 2010

Another Piece of Weird

The greatest conflict in my life at the moment is the fact my computer is in a little space off the kitchen and my pool and shaded deck are at the back of the house.

A typewriter I could move and often did. So that I could work and enjoy the amenity at the same time.

But the computer is too heavy. It has too many wires and attachments. I did not try the lap top while I was away.

It was too hot and sticky to start the day here after a sleepless night with the alternative of a shady early morning deck out back.

I don't have air conditioning.Shade from the trees is usually enough to keep the house comfortable. The pool isn't heated. I think the purpose of a pool is to cool a body. A heated pool or a warm lake is like swimming in soup.

My inclination was to write about a party I went to last night. I thought, if I put it off, I might think better of it.

I haven't.

The invitation was to a barbecue hosted by the Mayor and the Chief Administrative Officer.

I 've never known a CAO with such a variety of roles.

Or a Mayor who needs support everywhere she goes.

Guests at the party were citizen members of various committees which advise council how to decide matters of town business.

I counted the number of advisory committee members once.. There were a hundred and the list keeps growing.

Call me old-fashioned if you like but I have the impression when people elect a council, they expect said council to be making the decisions. But that's a subject for another time.

Last night, not all citizen members attended the barbecue. I wasn't there at the start. I didn't see any barbecuing going on. It's a good thing too. It was too hot outside. Some people complained the room inside the Senior's Centre was too cold.

The Mayor wasn't there for while. The CAO was the lone host. Like I said. It was weird.

The Mayor showed up in time to do her favourite thing. She called upon each of the guests and presented them with a certificate with a gold stamp in appreciation of their contribution to the town's quality of life. Each group stood for the ritual photograph with the Chief Magistrate. I'm sure they were thrilled. Quite a few were frequent recipients.

The Aurora library CAO was a recipient. The certificate identified her as a Library Board Member.

Rebecca Beaton, a library board member, wasn't present but was mentioned by the Mayor.

The Library CAO was asked to present Rebecca's Certificate to her personally.

Geoff Dawe was there. He received a certificate as a library board member.

Several other libraray board members were absent.Their names were not mentioned. No certificates were provided to mark town appreciation for their volunteer comitment.

Other Council members were present. Each was called forward to be acknowledged. All except moi.

I'm sure it was an oversight.

I wasn't offended though.

I think we are awash with awards from all levels of governments and a myriad of their agencies.

When do we arrive, I wonder, at the point,when distinction goes to those who have not received an award of one sort or another.

Like the long-suffering taxpayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good of the outgoing Mayor to be taking care of these few final details.

I would imagine the next thing on the agenda will be to start emptying out her desk and removing various pictures from the office wall in preparation for October.