"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 15 July 2010

An Update on The Craziness

Clause 3 of the Code of Conduct (Aurora) states as follows:


“Communications and Media Relations Members of Council will accurately and adequately communicate the attitudes and decisions of Council, even if they disagree with the majority decision of Council.

Official information related to decisions and resolutions made by Council will normally be communicated to the community and the media in an official capacity by the Mayor or designated staff member or through a press release issued by the Corporation.

Communications with the media by Members of Council shall be conducted through proper interviews or media releases. Members shall refrain from submitting letters to the editor or writing a regular column in the newspaper or hosting or co -hosting a regular televised program”

************************************

The language is nonsensical, contradictory. It's intent contravenes the Federal Charter of Rights and Freedoms

I did not surrender my rights as a citizen when I swore an Oath of Office in order to take my seat as a Councillor.

I do not acknowledge Council's authority to deprive me of rights as a citizen..

I did not vote for the Code nor sign the document.

I did not support the appointment of David Tzubouchi as Integrity Commissioner.

I did not participate in the complaints procedure.

Finding no credence in Section 3 of the Code of Conduct, and having brought the matter before the courts at this time, I do not acknowledge Mr. Tzubouchi's authority either to inquire into or make a recommendation to Council on Clause 3 of the Code of Conduct.

At Tuesday's Council meeting, the question was asked re complaints held in abeyance from the first Integrity Commissioner's short time in office. The Mayor directed the question to Solicitor Cooper, who responded in the negative.

Yet a complaint filed by six council members, prepared by a lawyer and paid for by the taxpayers ($50ks) has been and continues to be displayed on the Corporation's Web Site.

On Tuesday, the Mayor maintained the contention. the substance of the complaint was not dealt with by Mr. Nitkin and the Commissioner was stripped of his authority the day after he made the decision to dismiss it.The previous claim was, the Commissioner was stripped of his authority prior to making his decision to dismiss.

The Mayor continues to maintain dismissal of her complaint is not relevant because the substance was not dealt with.

On Tuesday, at the Meeting ,she asserted, with a glare to her right, in my direction, Mr.Nitkin was “pushed into making a quick decision "

In the matter of complaints pending, a complaint was filed by Sher St Kitts, the Mayor's friend, which did not proceed after she was informed the document needed to be provided to me for a response.

Other complaints are known to have been filed.

Yet we are now officially informed, there are no previous complaints.

And Mr. Tzubouchi, the new integrity commissioner, numbered Councillor MacEachern's complaints One and Two and dealt with them first.

There has never been any doubt in my mind the purpose of Mr.Tzubouchi's appointment..

When Mr. Nitkin received the first complaint against me, he called to make an appointment.I had attended his ethics workshop for Councillors which was boycotted by Mayor Morris and Councillor MacEachern.

I informed him I had no intention of validating the complaint process or the Code of Conduct by my participation.

He earnestly requested twenty minutes of my time. He needed to persuade me it was in my interest to participate. He spent three hours and forty minutes in the company of myself and daughters on my backyard deck under the maple tree. We drank tea.

It turned out he didn't need my participation to decide to dismiss the $5o thousand dollar, solicitor prepared and widely publicised complaint of the six.

I never doubted Mr. Nitkin's integrity or professional competence. He had received my last comment as he closed my garden gate:

“They will not let you do your job”

They didn't.

On the other hand, I believe Mr.Tzubouchi received all the support and encouragement he needed to fulfill expectations of his appointment..

And He did.

No comments: