"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 21 August 2010

Another Little Bit of Insight

Our first planning director joined us at the beginning of her career. She built the planning department and trained young planners in her way of doing things.

The town grew in a slow, orderly, and attractive fashion under her leadership. She was with us until she retired.She might still have been doing the job she loved in different circumstance.

I believe she was well paid for a small municipality. The town in turn received full return on our investment. Our Director was among the best in the Province.

Developers , consultants and provincial officials held her in high esteem.

That's measure of competence to be envied by politicians everywhere.

It also leads to a sense of ownership by a Director. It's to be expected and not a bad thing.

Came a time when a recommendation was made for a heritage planner. I did not agree. I was probably the only opposition. The recommendation was accepted and the planner hired.

Subsequently there was a circumstance when I expressed my opposition and cited total cost. I stated neither a specific salary nor an individual.

The Director heard about my reference via a complaint from the newly-hired planner. I was called and taken to task.

I listened.

I countered.

To no avail.

I brought the conversation to a halt.

Over thirty years, there had never been a dispute between us.

I gave full respect to a competent Director.

I never presumed to tell her how to do her job.

I wasn't about to let her tell me how to do mine.

We never referred to the subject again.

No comments: