"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 18 August 2010

Reverie

I told you before about the chair sinking into the earth with me atop. I didn't realise until it had sunk sufficiently that I couldn't get up. There was nothing to grab.

I was pruning seed heads from a clematis about two in the afternoon. Nobody around. Not much chance of anybody coming around.

I decided to be comfortable while I contemplated the problem.There was a nice breeze about me and the sun was shining. The chair continued to sink. Soon it was at ground level and the solution presented itself.

I rolled off and crawled through the dirt to the patio where another chair provided leverage to bring me upright once more.

The ground was moist. I had watered the garden before I placed the plastic chair with the knife like legs in front of the clematis.

Anyway, I did triumph over adversity.But I didn't tell anyone about it for a while. My daughter Heather was quite unimpressed by my imaginative coping skills. She laughed hilariously.

The next time, I was perched on a well-designed gardening bench purchased at Lee Valley Tools. I was weeding with a long handled hoe. A particularly deep rooted weed needed a hard push. It didn't budge. I did.

The bench went backwards and again I was sitting in the dirt, my back resting comfortably against the cedar hedge and gloved hands hanging over the edge of the bench like Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz.

Heather was on hand . I waited for her to notice my dilemma She wasn't much help. She was laughing too hard .

A couple of weeks ago, the bench was involved again. I was straightening the hose I stood up to handle it. Lowering myself I reached behind for the bench handles. They were not where I expected them to be.

It was evening. I pulled a cushion from a chair and made myself comfortable and contemplated my options . I could wait for Theresa to come home from her class. It was still light .It could be an hour Rain was threatening. .

This time I was on grass. Grass is not as hard as concrete. and not as soft as soil. When knees are arthritic,the degree of hardness is relevant. The chair close by was a spin-around. The potential for my face coming into sudden contact with wrought iron mitigated against that choice.

After gazing at the sky for a bit, I decided to shift. . I positioned my knees on the cushion and waddled to the nearest chair that would stay put under the pressure.

I intended to keep that episode secret. The bruise I couldn't see on my upper arm, gave the game away.

Families have a way of maintaining records of comical events . Intermittent reference frequently involves creative elaboration.

I'm going to be secretive from now on. I won't tell about my Fall at the Hall last night.

Caring hands helped me to my feet.

The Mayor was reading the decision they paid for from the Integrity Commissioner.
'Tis said she muttered sourly

"typical"

What would it take I wonder to engender a smile ?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evelyn, I am relieved that you are OK. I was watching the meeting live last night and the commotion could be heard even though you were off camera. It was never made clear who the person was that had the accident. However, I was fairly certain that it was you from the reaction seen around the council table, where the cameras were directed. I was certain that it was your rather distinctive brogue calling out that you were alright. Mr. Leach had his microphone on and was unaware that his utterances could be heard in the chamber and on camera. They were not kind and he was informed by Councillor Gallo to turn it off. The cameras remained on even after the Mayor admonished Rogers to stop filming. The Mayor may have been annoyed at the timimg of your accident interrupting her sermon, but I am of the opinion that there were other people there who seemed positively gleeful witnessing your distress. Anyone not watching the broadcast live will just have to take my word it because the tape has been edited and none of it can be viewed now. Anyway, I was appalled at the Mayor's behavior as usual. Honestly, someone needs to inform that woman that her chair and her chain are not a pulpit and we, meaning council, staff and taxpayors are not her congregation. That is one thing I truly cannot abide, an elected official in a democratic society using their position to condemn others that don't share their viewpoint! Fire and brimstone indeed! I was disgusted at the disparaging comments made about Councilors McRoberts and Collins-Mrakas because of their refusal to participate in the vote regarding the IC report. The ones she made about you, well, it was nothing she hasn't said before many, many times and I am so sick of hearing it I think I have learned to tune her out for the most part. I would challenge some of those self righteous people that critisize you for writing a blog to explain to me the bloody difference between you and the Mayor. You write your opinion, she performs hers on camera, WHAT is the difference? Be well and keep fighting, I appreciate all you do on my behalf.

Luckywife

Something Fishy in Aurora said...

Well, you are posting today so hopefully you are none the worse for ware.

I watched the video this morning and yes the Mayor did muter that as she was getting up, it was right before she realized the mic was on and asked Rogers to stop all cameras. The video went on to show staff discussing the meeting before being warned by Galo and Wilson that their mics were also being recorded. Went back to watch again, but Rogers has edited it out and now the meeting is in two parts.

Also want to echo what David Heard said at the meeting last night. Thank you for what you do, many of us do appreciate your blog and the information it provides. Shame the rest of council cannot or will not follow in your footsteps and also provide their opinion in such a forum. Well said David.

Anonymous said...

I think of all the words that the mayor has spoken on camera over the 4 years, one word "typical" will sink her warship. Nothing struck me as more ..... well i must keep it civil, more typical of the mayor. Many a great and small leader has cut their political throat with an off-comment when the mic was supposed to be off. Glad you are alright. I agree with Mr. Heard.

Resident at Large said...

I cannot believe how nasty, heartless and evil the mayor et al can be that they would glory or condemn someone in trouble. This is just as much an evil regime as Nazi Germany. Evilina is such an appropriate name and it is representative of the six.
I also strongly object to and censorship of filming a public event; it is just another form of propaganda as it skews events by omission.

Anonymous said...

Mr.Heard was given a good tongue lashing at The Town Park last night.

Taken by the arm to an area that appeared to be away from people he was standing with,he was taken to task for his words at the mic.

Guess which Councillor?

This is not the the first time.

Anonymous said...

Evelyn:

Next time you go into your garden make sure you have a cell phone in your pocket, please.

Faux Pas

Anonymous said...

I am very happy to hear that you are none the worse for your tumble. Thank goodness there were helpful, friendly hands outside the council chamber because there weren't any inside the chamber at the time of your fall.