"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 6 September 2010

For Those Who Believe

For those who believe, no proof is necessary
For those who do not believe, no proof is possible.

The quote was sent to me with the author's name; Stuart Chase.

I don't like to use a quote unless I know something of the circumstances of how it came to be. Chase was an economist and an engineer who switched from financial accounting to social accountability and wrote several books, one of which was entitled, The New Deal.

President Roosevelt read it at the time of The Great Depression. Chase's ideas about government's social responsibilities became the root of the program known as The New Deal.

I found that and more on Google. At my fingertips.

One of the nasties accused me of plagiarism the other day because I used a biblical phrase. It was in quotes to signify it wasn't mine. I think John F. Kennedy used it in the speech (Inaugural?) where he said; "Ask not what your Country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"

The quote was "to those whom much is given, much is expected"

Whoever wrote their speeches, the Kennedy brothers knew how to deliver them with flair and conviction. They had Mojo.

I wrote a post the other day about the comment from an unnamed Liberal that the party had re-discovered their Mojo I didn't think it was a word until I checked the dictionary. Among other things, the word means "magic spell".

Now I know the word is real , I just don't believe the Liberal claim .

In terms of Mojo, I think of Winston Churchill, Pierre Trudeau, Tommy Douglas, David Lewis, Dalton Camp, Keith, the Rainmaker, Davey and yes, Rene Levesque.

Call me traitor to English Canada if you like, I do believe Rene, the man, had Mojo.

I don't see anybody with Mojo in government to-day. Which is not to say ,they're not out there somewhere.

History demonstrates, it is monumental challenge that brings out the mettle of the man or woman in a position of authority.

I believe our Town's political situation has deteriorated to the point, recovery represents a monumental challenge. As huge as I have ever seen.

I believe nothing less than a change in the Mayor's chair is necessary to change the course.It took four years to get us where we are.

We have a hard row ahead of us . We need a strong coach to take us forward. Whether he has mojo will be revealed if he is given the challenge.

I believe Geoff Dawe is the man.

But elections are won by one vote cast at a time.

Enough of you have to believe also.

You have the time and the opportunity. This challenge is yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So now they are the plagiarism police as well as the language police? What a joke!