"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 27 October 2010

I Will Keep Faith

The last Mayor of East York was True Davidson. The Province had amalgamated  the Boroughs of York and East York. Beth Neilson was Mayor of York and the two were pitted against each other.True was the victor.

True Davidson was a woman of indeterminate years and a strong facial profile.She reminded me of a droll British  comedy actress named Hermione Gingold.  True wore marvelous hats at all times and was a popular  guest speaker because of her wonderful  wit and the affection she enjoyed.

During her last campaign, she was hospitalised . She  promptly called  a press conference in her hospital room and sent a message to the world at large;

"Rumours of my demise have been vastly exaggerated"

I often think of True  Davidson and her  example of courage and character.

I thought of  her again on election day when my head was low.  When I needed to be out there expressing my appreciation for all the  support I  received  throughout the election and the best I could manage was a trip to a clinic.

So I missed  the opportunity  to convey my feelings  in person ;

We did it together again. Nobody does it alone.

Thank You.                              

1 comment:

Resident said...

Hip Hip hurray for Evelyn!