"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 27 October 2010

I'm Back...Sort of

I've been leaning. lolling and hanging my head for three days now. I have an infectuous infection. I am on a ten day course of anti-biotics. I feel like Raggedy Annie with  the stuffing knocked out  and that's all I'm going to say about that. 

I watched  it on television. I heard the cheers and applause. I was there in spirit.  I may have missed the excitement but not the satisfaction.

How sweet it is!

Our Mayor-elect  ran a class  campaign. He didn't do it alone. He was surrounded by a  group dedicated to  something far more important than any individual's personal ambition.  I wasn't an active part  but I know who were. Months of hard work and nose to the grindstone by people with  nothing to gain but the well-being of our community.

It was a triumph of good. 

How much our new Councillors elect , came to understand the issues during the campaign is not easy to know.  If they are like all the  Councillors I have known and shared feelings with ,they will have been over-whelmed by  being chosen. They  will approach their responsibilities with humility and a determination to be worthy of the trust.

There is  a single  clear message to be gained from this election; when we vote, we delegate  authority. We do not transfer  power.

We troop out in our thousands. One  by one, we take the ballot behind a screen  and  make our selection. Then we gather and wait  to see what we wrought together.

The result is

With fresh energy, commitment and confidence, we begin anew.

1 comment:

Something Fishy in Aurora said...

Take care of yourself and get better.

You have a long term ahead and lots to get done!!!!