"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 20 November 2010

The Blog

In case it has not been realised, this blog means a great deal. Not just to myself.
If I can believe it , and I see no reason why I should not, many people are delighted to assure me it is much appreciated.

If I needed greater satisfaction than writing it, knowing it is shared makes it very worthwhile.

I still draw the line at posting abusive comments about myself.

I don't use it for that. It would be too easy. It would also be a waste of space and not an enjoyable read.

The exchange is improving. Though patronising comments and sarcasm still displace logic to a considerable extent.

The end of hostility in the Council Chamber may mean challenging ideas will present as an enjoyable option.

It doesn't have to mean the end of sharp exchange. Or suppressing humour as it occurs.

All that's needed is to acknowledge our's is a common purpose. At times, we will have different ideas of how it can be reached.

In the end, the majority will decide.

But the minority will not be silenced.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evelyn,

I read the agenda for Tuesday night. There looks like an awful lot needs to be accomplished. Quite a bit of pomp and a little more substance than I would have expected for a final. Anyway, I really do hope it will conclude with a little dignity and some small measure of goodwill.

Wishful thinking......I know, but, tis' the season.

And yes, I do love your blog. Hopefully over the coming months circumstance will allow for more honey and less vinegar. I will look forward to that with the same enthusiasm as I have for anything that you write.

Best regards,
Luckywife

Elizabeth Bishenden said...

I am surprised that some would think you shouldn't have an unbiased blog.

It's your blog. No one else should expect to have a say.

I think you do an amazing job of asking for information while also saying what you represent.

As for the future, I'd say let us all measure out our honey and vinegar as we see fit.

The new coucil is full of promise. All we ask is for them to fairly consider all points of view.

Anonymoose said...

Elizabeth, I don't think anyone really expects Buck's blog to be unbiased. Truly nothing in this world is anyway. And to her credit, I am impressed that she published critical comments such as my own.

Some of us however get rather annoyed when she presents opinions as facts, and makes insulting and disrespectful comments about other people, and council.

Her continuous bashing of the decisions made by council in these pages after the vote has been made, shows her to be a poor loser and demonstrates a distinct lack of respect for the institution.

The conspiracy statements about "orchestrations" and "shadow councils" again shows disrespect for the institution as well as the people. You wouldn't accuse a police officer of being on the take without some proof, but she never seems to need proof to put forward her conspiracy theories.

I don't see this ending with the next council. The first vote that doesn't go her way, she will be blogging and writing letters about how the rest of council are all idiots.

Anonymous said...

Moose, take a hike!

Anonymous said...

To Anonymoose 9:09 AM

Evelyn probably will be blogging and writing letters this term, tigers don't change their stripes.

The difference I feel will be how the rest of Council and especially the new Mayor reacts.

I also believe Evelyn knows the difference between an opinion and a fact. I believe she deserves the right to voice her opinions, something she was not always allowed to do at the council table last term.

Anonymous said...

"Her continuous bashing of the decisions made by council in these pages after the vote has been made, shows her to be a poor loser and demonstrates a distinct lack of respect for the institution"

What swamp did anymoose come from with statements like this , Poor Loser , Lack of respect of the Institution , Really , how pray tell do you conclude this to be fact, You obviously had your head under the lily pads for the last four years, this is the most laughable post yet , its reminiscent of the MorMac performance and the gift that keeps on giving Keep it Up !