"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 17 March 2011

A Blog Is A Blog...What is A Blog ?

Until August 2007, I had no idea . I've been posting since then  and increased to a daily offering . I have a better sense of it now than at the beginning but I'm still not sure how it might  precisely be  defined.

It is certainly not  traditional media. 

It  can have  dynamic impact.An average of two hundred and twenty people a day read my blog. Considering the narrowness of its scope , I think that's pretty remarkable.

Citizen Blog has  more readers than mine. It has a better format for an exchange of views.

There are  posters  who seem to be intent on changing that at the Citizen.

Different blogs can have a different focus. The Citizen ,in response to reader demand, introduces different topics from time to time.  But mostly it deals with Aurora politics. Traffic slows down significantly when the topic is changed.

I think it's odd for readers  to ask for a blog to be changed. Why not instead seek out a blog that suits your taste?

Or if there isn't one, start your own.

It seems obvious to me ,if people  log in  regularly, it's because they know what to  expect.Why ask for something different?

I  have kept tabs on the  Citizen conversation since the beginning.   Posters  sometimes ask questions I can answer.  So I do. I  thought it was a useful contribution. I like to be helpful.

Sometimes posters  will  express their appreciation.

Lately I seem to be taking a fair amount of flak.. Critics are mostly anonymous but there is a common thread.

It  appears  they would like  me to butt out and  stop talking about Aurora's politics.Something about it seems to bother them.

Of course,butting out of  town's politic is not a possibility. A current term of office  is always a  continuation of the  previous term.  There is no fresh slate. The budget is the  immediate task. Everything in the document is a spin-off from the previous council.

The election left little doubt as to the community's decision.That budget needs to be changed.

If we do not learn from their errors, we are doomed to repeat them.

And therein lies  the common thread I have recognised. 

Identities  may claim to be  anonymous.The cast is familiar , still alive and active and  style easily recognisable.   If they can suck the life out of  Citizen Blog ,the over-all plan of sabotage will move forward.    .

In a comical  juxtaposition of e-mails recently Councillor Gaertner  intended to forward an e-mail from the Mayor  to Councillor Ballard. The covering message suggested  it be shared with the media.  The way "Buck" does it .  The whole  was copied to the Dreadful Duo.

The Mayor's e-mail was completely innocuous.  Comedy lay  in the fact,it  was returned to the Mayor,instead of Ballard, complete with the covering message. That it was  cc.d to the dreadful  duo was noted. Considering  confidentiality of information  a Councillor is privy to, the realisation  is problematic.

To those of us in the front line, the intent is already obvious. The gauntlet is already thrown down.  Further evidence  was providential.

So my plan  now, is continue to keep tabs on the Citizen. If there are questions I can answer,I will continue to do it here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that you should remain involved in the Aurora Citizen blog. I don't think that commenters are calling for it to change, just that people refrain from being unnesessarily insulting. That there are other topics besides political topics just increases its interest and diversity.