"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday 20 March 2011

Twittering or Tweetering

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Safe Passage":

"As an elected official, I have no authority to direct or advise a municipal employee of the requirements of his job."

But you're doing just that!

How is using social media any different than printing the town page in the newspaper? It's the same information, just presented in a different way.

I can imagine how efficient it would be if staff had to run everything they do past council.

***********

I  am not doing that.

My blog is posted for those who choose to get  my  personal take on town affairs. People  have to rely on  Councillors.   Over the years  some have learned they can depend on me.

It may be because of all the years of knowing how I think.

It's not  about being right all the time.  I  often  see merit to more than one side of an argument.Straddling the fence is not a luxury Councillors have.  When it's time to vote, you have to choose , one way or another.

Staff receive Council direction  through policies adopted by Bylaw. Every experienced employee understands that unless of course, we have a Council like the last one.

If  an idea presents  which has merit but is not covered by policy,council must approve.

Social media is a new form of communication; hardly likely to  be covered by an existing policy.I absolutely disagree,  it's the same as designing the Town Notice Board.

I know how long it takes to write a post. I know how much of me goes into it.

I know how much time it takes to respond to comments.When censoring is required. When I need to cut off  the  discussion. Or choose which comment to respond to.

I know how much a personal response is appreciated. Can that service be provided by staff?  Can we afford the cost? Is it worth the cost?

How many staff  would be required to fulfill  the expectations? What is the added  benefit?

The social  media is personal. What happens if a Council decison is hard fought and results in a split  decision; is it  the  function  of a  tweet on twitter to convey  differing perspectives  as expressed in the debate? Or is  the majority only to be represented?

In our system of government, the minority must be heard.

How does an employee handle those decision to everyone's satisfaction ?

I say they can't.

Of course, I have heard  no arguments to the contrary. They have not been offered.

Within the last two years I have seen the corporate communications department changed to a public relations arm of the Mayor's office without approval of Council.

If having your name on the Town Hall address gives an incumbent candidate an advantage,   Imagine what a plus  it is to have an entire   public relations department on hand ,at public expense, to write and circulate   promotional material in your favour every day of the week.

The function of the corporate communication division has been changed to allow that. Last Council did not debate the change. This one hasn't either.

I know of at least one intelligent person who thinks it's just fine. I do not.  I don't think those who read my blog would think so either.That's why I'm keeping them informed. I think they have a right to know.

And&nbspfrankly my dear, I don't give a damn whose tender feelings might be offended.

No comments: