"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 3 May 2011

You Were Asking

Evelyn:

How would you categorize yourself when you first decided to seek public office?

We know you today as a clarion call for good, fiscally responsible government, but surely that didn't get you elected the first time.

Please share your story

*****************************

I don't fit a category. I was a new Canadian, a refugee from war-torn Europe,tired of wars and rumours  of wars and  and eager for a new start in life..I was a housewife. a mother. I claimed no other status.  

I had strong opinions and a need to express them. I discovered satisfaction of writing letters to the editor and seeing them published.

I wrote the first at someone else's suggestion.

Eric Franklin  of Richardson Drive and John White of Jones Court,  had published a couple of editions of  a  news letter called the R.A.R.A.News

I was  critical of the President of the Association for covering for the developer of our homes.  Eric suggested I  write a letter to the news letter  So, I did.

It started a dialogue that continued in the Aurora Banner. It was still owned by Jim Johnston.

There were three daily newspapers in Toronto. The Star, The Telegram and The Globe and Mail. My opinions ranged over all manner of issues, I had letters published in all of the newspapers. I wasn't thinking about  politics.

Regency was a seven- hundred and fifty home development. Many families had exited the U.K. after the Suez Crisis. Toronto and its environs were inundated. It wasn't long before the community became interested in town  affairs and vice versa.

Most everyone   commuted to  work in the city. Somebody suggested I should be  a candidate for Council. It seemed  a reasonable thing to do though  I wasn't then and am not now a  social person. I just had opinions about how things should be.

I didn't get  elected but I discovered  I enjoyed the give and take. I did it another time  without being elected.The term of office was twelve months. I diiscovered  I had as much to offer as any other candidate and decided I wanted the job.

I was elected in 1967,  for the first two year term of municipal office.. It was Canada' s Centennial Year. A great time to be in public office. I learned fast . I did it well. I had found my niche and great satisfaction in being in a place where I could make a difference.


Many people are offended that  I persist in stating  views contrary to their own. More appreciate common sense , opennes and honesty than don't.

It became my mission in life to prove  a person can be completely frank and honestand survive in politics.It's not necessary to sell your soul.

I am the kind of politician I  want to  represent me.

I'm the only one I know.

I was here for Aurora's hundredth anniversary.I am proud to have been part of her history.

It's not a dramatic story but it's mine.

No comments: