"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 26 August 2011

What I'm Saying Is...

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Water Audit Report. 2":

Are you saying that ice-rink and splash pad water usage is not accounted for?
I seem to recall that water usage was tracked for the splash-pad at the Town Park vs. the ice-rink at the Town Park.
Didn't a resident want to know how much was being used for each and the Town was able to determine it?
If that was the case, then why can't it be tracked and the usage amount be assigned to the parks and rec budget? Wouldn't that be the appropriate place to allocate that cost?
Keep at this one, Evelyn.
I think this is a priority issue.

**********

Once  the majority  makes a decision to accept the staff rationale for  water rates, there is nothing more I can  say  about it. 

That's why Council members need to hear from you.

I do not recall a resident inquiring about  water  usage for splash pads and ice surfaces.  I do know neither are metered, therefore no  determination could  be made.

Initially, when I started asking questions, I was told the amount was minimal and the appropriate department budget were being debited.

But that didn't account for" water loss" being increased from 8% to 12% in 2010.  

According to the current report , the amount " unaccounted " therefore unbilled is  under 1%.

It still does not account for " water loss" of 12%.

I am  therefore assuming the difference between  consumption  recorded by meters and  amount billed by the Region has been  classified as "water loss" and used  to fix  the rates charged to meter users.

In the latest report, 2007 was an interesting year.

Water consumption was at its highest ever.

"Water loss" was minimal.

Which  confirms my  understanding the Region is collecting  payment for the town's forecast  and not  not actual consumption. And meter users are paying far more than for  water they use.

The difference is made up by the  figure for "water loss"and the books are handily balanced.

If nobody raises awkward questions, well, what the hell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand how the splash pad can't be metered.
It is linked to the water system.
I think the splash pad is a great amenity for the community, but I still think it would be a good thing to know how much it costs.
By the way, do you know what work the town is doing at the park/bridge at Kennedy Street East?
It looks like a fake beautification with huge landscape rocks instead of leaving it in its more natural state. I don't see why money is being spent there. Any information on this would be interesting to know.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous 8:05 AM,

With regards to the Rotary Park on Kennedy Street East, the funds for the project were donated by the Rotary Club, I don't currently have the information with me but if you're interested I'd be happy to get it for you.

Many thanks,
Paul Pirri