"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 24 October 2011

Some Hae Meat But Can nae eat ... Some Would eat That Want It...But We hae Meat ...And We Can Eat...And sae the Lord Be Thankitt

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "The Toronto Star":

What exactly is the point of this piece?

A fat white man is losing while a slender brown man is winning?

Is it because of their absence/presence at their respective city's gay pride parades? Surely there is more substance behind their approval ratings, isn't there?

So what.

*************

When I cut and pasted  part of Toronto Star column by Royson James on Saturday, the particular prejudice  raised  by the  above comment  had not occurred.

When it appeared , my instinct was not to publish .

I didn't.

I didn't reject it either.

When I opened my eyes this morning  I knew I would.

The James piece reeked of  prejudice.  I just thought it was another kind. 
I don't think better of Police Chiefs and  Mayors and other political leaders because they walk in Gay Pride  parades. That's  not courageous. It's just plain old-fashioned soliciting votes or popularity.

I'm not inclined to tell anyone  how to lead their lives in the bedroom. By the same token, I don't want  them to tell me  about it either.

Plenty of stuff  doesn't need to be  talked about.

Lots of people who are homosexual  consider it their own business.They are not ashamed of it .They just don't need to talk about it. Any more than I  possess  a prurient interest.

***********

My friend Chris Watts has a  post this morning about the Mayor's Prayer Breakfast. I was hoping somebody else would pick that  up.

He invited an Amen . I think;   Hallelujah !!!Hallelujah!!!Hallelujah!!! is the right  response.

I did not accept an invitation to the first exclusive prayer breakfast. Nor the second.  Knowing what I knew, nothing about the event was inviting. 

This year, our current Mayor bought a table and sent invitations. I politely refused. I was glad I hadn't already told him what I thought about  "The  Mayor's Prayer Breakfast"

Then  Chris told us  it's no longer called  "Mayor's Prayer Breakfast"  and the former Mayor led the prayer. for a return to  integrity.

Well, I thought.  I wonder what the current Mayor  and whatever Councillors or staff  who joined him at his table  thought about that?

Bet he doesn't buy a table next year.

I wonder if he used the Mayor's allowance?

I wonder if they  donate the money they raise  at the Prayer Breakfast to the food bank?

All in favour!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, if anyone takes any editorial piece from the Toronto Star seriously, they need to have their head shaken.

The entire Star editorial policy is based on the fact that a right-wing candidate won the election. It's been a year and they have not forgotten and they are still bitter. If they put this behind them and got on with the reality of today the whole process would be more palatable.

Another example of their "sour grapes" attitude is therecent piece about HRH's picture in Canadian foreign offices. They took great offence to Harper making this mandatory. I submit that if he mandated that his picture should be there instead, he would have received the same disdain. The point is, he could not win either way. Who would the Star have up there? Jack Layton?

There is a unique parallel between the way The Star and a lot of Aurora bloggers (owners and commenters) work. The last election was over a year ago. If you won... great. If you lost... too bad. In both cases, suck it up and get on with today and the future. You can't change the past.

Something Fishy in Aurora said...

It was also nice to see that this year the “Mayors corn roast” became the “council corn roast”

Anonymous said...

Looks like the Breakfast Prayer will go down with the
Jazz Festival. How many 'not for profit' events is this
one group of gouging individuals involved in that do
not state what the organizers are paid and where any accidental profit might be directed ? Leaches.

Anonymous said...

Is this the same integrity as the Integrity Commissioner she fired because he didn't write a report stating what she wanted?

Evelyn, I believe you were the subject.

The only way she can help atone for her many sins while mayor is to enter some far off holy order, where she will have nothing to do but pray, many times daily, for the rest of her life.