"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 4 October 2011

What Does A Council Do Anyway?

Aurora Councillors received an e-mail this morning . It started out:

"As you may know from July 1st ,we entered an agreement "

No, as it turns out, I did not know.

We have an audit  report on the Church Street School operation  on  to-night's  agenda .  It says the governing board was elected.  I did not know that.

I do not know when that election was held nor who were the electors nor what constituency would have that authority?

It seems lots of things happen that  I do  not know about.  That, as a Councillor, I think I should.

I  know stuff  that contradicts other stuff, that I read in consultants' reports.

Like the asinine consultant comment that eighteen years ago, the town built a town hall to accommodate the staff and size of community we had then, without a thought to the future. 

At the end of the last term, a staff  report was presented  to Council recommending transfer of  council authority to staff.

No  specifics were provided. Only numbers.  All of which was represented as housekeeping; tidying up. 

I argued it would be an excellent exercise for the new Council. It would provide, from the outset, an understanding of the separate roles of Council and staff.

On that night, Councillors knew not what they surrendered.. They did it anyway.

It was probably one of those solitary votes  in opposition.

What did it matter?

I thought it did then. I think it does now.  

Methinks it's time to re-consider.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Softly. softly, the game's a'foot. Three,possibly four
votes already sewn up.