"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday 6 January 2013

We Shall Not Be Moved

Yesterday I wrote a response to Tracy Smith's Letter to the Editor in The Auroran that apeared  last  Tuesday.  I wrote it twice. 
After I sent  the first one, I checked the file to make sure it went. 
There was no trace.
I gave it time. 

Still it remained hidden. 
I re-wrote  and sent it once more into the breech. 
Checked the file again. 
The second  vanished as well. 
I  e-mailed   and asked  had the editor received either missive. 
He had  both.
He asked which I wanted  to use. 
The second I said.
It was slightly more pointed in the re-write. 
The kerfuffle severely shook  my confidence in my competence  with the computer. Of course it's  my fault. Computers don't err.
Although it  has been erratic for days. 
Time is always later than shown.
Various windows pop up unbidden.
Other weird things happen too numerous to mention
This morning, it occurred to me. the sent file gas never been emptied. 
 Maybe it's chock- a- block.
Or full to the brim. 
Or burgeoning at the bottom .
I scrolled  back to the  beginning
And there my astonished gaze beheld yesterday's two missing e-mails at a date in  2010.
My Lord, I thought, I've created a time machine.
I  fixed the clock without knowing why it went awry. 
I shall phone my grand-daughter and  seek advice about how to deal with the quirky sent folder.  
Then,  perhaps,I can turn my attention to writing a new post.
It's possible that somewhere not far, someone, not unfamiliar,  has fashioned a wax shape  of  my computer and is furiously sticking it with pins
It's a good thing I don't believe in that stuff. 
If worst comes to worst, I shall  buy a lap-top and keep on trucking.              
  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very funny. Take care, Gremlins get all computers. Thanks for the chuckle.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if maybe Mr Smith has finished the 3 terms that the Centre board claim to be allowed to i individual. Not sure that it matters.

Anonymous said...

One thing the beginners' course in computers at the Library didn't mention was the need to clear out Trash. The first person who helped me do that nearly had a seizure at the garbage I had collected. Maybe you need someone really good to get rid of the right stuff? Mine was just junk.

Anonymous said...

I know you are comfortable with your own system but please consider an Apple and TRG.