"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 8 January 2014

Collegiality is not like other relationships.

Something else I forgot to mention;  a massive retaining wall is having to be built  to create a level site for  building. Storage sheds are being built against it  for equipment like tractors and stuff.

Councillor  Thompson  sees it  as an advantage. When I inquired what  works or parks equipment needed  to be stored indoors? . He replied he didn't suggest it. . He said  a shed would  make it more accessible.

Somebody mentioned this morning Councillor Ballard had referred to my blog in a tweat.

I don't  tweat.   So I have no idea what Councillor Ballard might be saying .

But the comment provides opportunity to  explain  what might be  difficult to understand otherwise

Councillor Ballard  and I are poles apart on many issues.

Others ....not so much.

We are not  socially acquainted.

 It's not a requirement.

I am aware  he has been critical

It matters not.

For the purpose of  Council, we are colleagues,

 Being of like mind on town issues is not a requirement.

I have never had an uncivil  exchange with Councillor Ballard, nor Councillor Gallo nor Councillor  Gaertner .

I  regard  bad manners to be unacceptable in any circumstance.

On the

other hand, engaged  in a  struggle for dominance of ideas on a town issue, I would  draw blood. metaphorically, if I had to.

 I don't carry a notebook  filled with grudges  It would be altogether too much clutter.

On the other hand ...I don't forget much either.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cllr Ballard's Twits aren't necessary for you to know about. They generally consist of references to how much better dogs are than people. I consider this an improvement from his earlier twits quoting Maggie Thatcher & Churchill.

Anonymous said...

I find it intriguing that he seems to have read your Blog and found something he liked in it. Sort of flattering ?

Anonymous said...

You are a lot more tolerant than I am, Evelyn. I won't forget that a kid from King called my neighbours & me -
'Rubes '

Anonymous said...

They are like the room-mates I had for 2 summers working out west. You get along OK but the ones you make lasting friends are more likely to live down the hall.

Anonymous said...

Is there always this underlying tension with a Council or does it primarily appear during an election ? I was just wondering if there could be a cohesive unit that might go out and share a drink after a lengthy session. I confess I'm only familiar with Aurora and can see no sign of such a thing happening.

Anonymous said...

Christopher has read Cllr Gallo's interview in the Auroran

Anonymous said...

Seems garbage collection is running a day late because they couldn't work Tues because of the extreme cold.

Anonymous said...

As announced on Tuesday, 18:05.

Anonymous said...

@20:03
Please define ' announced '