"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 27 February 2014

Let's Get This Striaght

I have lived  in Aurora more than half a century. That's a third of the Town's history. 

I was a candidate first in 1963. Again in 1965.  First elected in 1967.

I  served four terms with Councillors whose families were founding members of the town. 

Who were  students at Chiurch Street School. Played hockey for  the town when the League was all stops along the  electric rail on Yonge Street.

They were volunteer fire-fighters .

 Lived through the depression. 

Recalled the tramp camp at the railway tracks and men begging for bread .

One  recalled poachng rabbits  with his Dad in Shephard's Bush  to put a meal on the table.

I had some of the same memories. 

Friday nights  were re-called when farm families came into town to shop and  gathered in large groups  on  Yonge Street sidewalk.  Crowds so deep, a person had to step into the road to make headway. 

They were of my own generation. Glad to share their history with the newcomer  to Aurora and Council colleague. 
Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Untouchable ....Not":

I  absorbed  it and  was always greedy for more

I lived through  the changes and  had a hand in some of  them. 

I  do have  a different perspective to the Mayor and other  Councillors. 

It's not skewed or distorted. 

It's not different to the communnity  I represent. 

As long  I am elected,  knowing what  people expect, I shall know that to be true. 

Subservience within this blog may not be assumed. 

It is what it is. 

Facts are delivered by one in a position to know. 

Deduction  is made  from facts , qualified  by long expeience in town affairs. 

Challenges made to facts represented  are minimal 

The Blog is an offering.

Take it or leave  it.

Either way, I will not be offended. 



I will not be offended. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I have lived in Aurora more than half a century. That's a third of the Town's history."

Actually, the Sesquicentennial celebrated the town's incorporation in 1863, not its founding. The first land deeds date initial settlement to the end of the 18th-century/beginning of the 19th.

Anonymous said...

The current onslaught of carping could be directly linked to the fact that your #s appear to be on the rise again.

Anonymous said...

I doubt that highly - Evelyn is a guarantee on council if Aurora gets it right! I think people are finally getting involved ....

Anonymous said...

13:00
She is a guarantee on Council regardless.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Aurora was formed in.1863 and incoporated in 1888.

Anonymous said...

Is she running? Don't see her on the list.

My gut tells me that you won't see her name until the last minute because she will want to see who else is running. Don't want to run if there is no change in winning.

Anonymous said...

Aurora was incorporated as a village in 1863, and as a town in 1888.

Anonymous said...

8:49
Why should she register now ? The woman is not stupid. We are all waiting to see who else is running. Did you have a point there ?