"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 11 March 2014

The Case Can Be Argued

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "A Little Bt of Background":

20:44

Of course your hair style is perfect....... if you have hair (probably don't).

Evelyn,
Why do you permit attacks to sitting members of council because of their looks? There is a huge pot/kettle thing out there.

Posted by Anonymous to Our Town and Its Business at 11 March 2014 07:


******************
Is  it a political  comment  ?     Is it personal ?

Does  appearance  matter  in a person elected or appointed to represent  the municipality?

I think it does. 

Who is  more responsible for maintaining  respect for public office ,elected or appointed that the person privileged to hold the office. 

I object to a Director at the Council chamber in shirt sleeves rolled up to the elbows or wearing a golf shirt.

It shows lack of judgement.

I object to  a shirt open at the neck  displaying vast expanses of  skin .

Sprawling in  chair  or reading from a  lap top to pass the time is offensive to me.

But I digress. It's a failing I have and readily admit. to being an imperfect human being.

Hair style is a personal choice.  Except for  when it's lost.

Image is projected by style.

If I wore  short tight skirts ,plunging neckline ,stilletto heels  and dyed my hair red, aside from having difficulty maintaining  my balance ,I would look ridiculous, frightful, unmindful of my years, lacking in judgement and  stark raving mad.

I would quickly become the talk of the town.

By contrast, Councillor Gallo's hair style is mild. That it  attracts comment  is not  beyond  the political.

I think he  probably takes it in his stride.

I rest my case.

7 comments:

David H. said...

I think there should be an.App so we can try hairstyles on.councilors.I think some would be amazing as "A Flock of Seagulls".Maybe Chris can help.

Anonymous said...

By that person's criteria, we should not have noticed Cllr Wilson teetering on 3 chair legs and waving unread papers in the air while proclaiming the urgent,
" Council needs to move on. We have important business "
- while in the audience people were there to demand that garbage about E be removed from the Town's web-site.

Anonymous said...

WE had a great councillor once. She received ' helpful ' suggestions about lightening her hair or wearing it loose around her shoulders from those more interested in the presentation than the contents.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just a transitional thing ?
Like the badger look before it ?

Anonymous said...

Appearance of one's hair, as long as it is neat, clean and tidy should not matter or have any relation to his or her duties. To allow people to post rude remarks about his hair is just that, rude and shows the juniville attitude of some people.

Ms Buck's assertations here about what she finds objectionable with members of staff proves how out of touch she is with the current world.

It has been almost 20 years since I wore a suit and tie everyday to work. I work in office environments in IT. "Business casual" as it is called, has been endorsed by most corporations in North America. It has increased the sale of "logoed" golf shirts and button-down dress shirts. It has increased employee productivity.

Like Ms Buck, I do find it annoying when there is clearly a lack of attention to what is going on in a meeting. Check the laptops and Blackberrys at the door.

Anonymous said...

When Georgina were thinking about having Rogers do their meetings the councillors there were very worried about how they might appear. I don't know if it ever happened but there was cause for concern. So I think we can take it as a given that councillor Gallo is fully aware as he sits with his colour-coded accessories.

Anonymous said...

I don't really care if they wear a pot on their head and a necktie around their waste as long as they stop foolishly spending my money and calling for tax increases to replace it.

Might also help if they did some research themselves and stopped kicking the can around the block hoping a decision will appear from the sky.

They foolishly bit off a big one with this works garage. The engineers, consultants and contractors are not finished with them yet. Lets see this mayor show us his business experience and bring the costs under control.