"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 23 May 2014

Us and Them

When I responded to Mr. Newman's letter to The Auroran ,I had only read the headline. I didn't read the letter. The headline set me off.

Yes Yes,,,I admit to  human failings. What do you want from me? .Sackcloth and ashes?It's not going to happen.

Since the thread  continued, I thought I ought to check back to the beginning.

Mr.Newman's letter prompted my memory. It sent me back to twin letters in The Auroran a few years ago. One from Mr.McIntyre another from an apparent friend. I can't remember what it was about. But the most likely issue was The Petch House. 

The friend commented I had outlived my usefulness and should step aside. 

Just like Mr.Newman did. Now that I think of it, it may even be one and the same. 

Being scolded  for being disrespectful by a person being disrespectful is an interesting contradiction.

I have been elected a number of times in free and clear elections. 

I do hold the office of Councillor.

I have held the office of Reeve and County Councillor  as well as Mayor and  Regional  Councillor and sundry others.

It  appears my manners  were acceptable  to a sufficient number of Aurorans ,over several generations,  to generate sufficient support at the polls where it counts.

I am in the happy circumstance of being myself, being in politics and never having to say I'm sorry
because I  always did my best.

I thought about it as I listened to  the twin editors of The Economist talking  about their book The Fourth Revolution on Charlie Rose on Tuesday before I went to the Council meeting. They identified cronyism and entitlements as the main problems for governments 

Charlie asked who is the world's best leader." Angela Merkel" they said. But even she  is caught in the common dilemma. She knows the problem. Knows how to fix it. But if she does she can't get elected.

Well,I thought,there she is the most powerful woman in the world,carrying the heaviest burden she can't do what needs to be done because getting elected is the most important thing in her life . I understand that. I am not unsympathetic.

In my very much less exalted position , I think I am fortunate. I enjoy politics.  But most important to me is ,when people vote for me,they know exactly what to expect.

I will be true.

I have banked my life and everything else on the principle ...honesty matters ....to me ...to my parents and grandparents before me and to  people like me.

And there are more of us than there are of them.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read the Newman letter, I checked him out. Beside being on a committee that has produced more expensive, lame-brained ideas that I can count, he refers to himself as being a " crank ". I quite agree. He is a crank.
The reason for his personal attack likely had more to do with their losing a few vision-projects than anything worth considering.

Anonymous said...

“And there are more of us than there are of them".
I wonder about that some days. This entitlement problem is a huge. Spilling into the younger generations, I see it with young adults and now their young kids.

Anonymous said...

There was a Newman who supported the current Mayor in the last election. Not sure if it's the same guy.
Google must be a real pain for some people.They do something or say something & have to drag it around forever. Even the new legislation in Europe is unlikely to change that any time soon. I am quite sure the former would love to clear all negative references to her.

Anonymous said...

Even if the entitlement trend continues, the flow of money from governments cannot. We just have a particularly virulent strain of it due to the hydro fund.

Anonymous said...

That lady in Mississauga, Caroline or Carolyn Parrish ?, kept demanding that Hazel step aside for her. Hazel took her own sweet time and waited her out. Retired when it suited her, not on order.

Anonymous said...

The Agenda has lift-off. The Farmers' Market has a delegation. I certainly hope she chooses her words with care.

Anonymous said...

@17:28
That is going to put the accessibility gurus on the front burner. They have already messed up with opposing the refurbishment of Jubilee Park.

Anonymous said...

Page 5 of my Agenda just went AWOL

Anonymous said...

"The friend commented I had outlived my usefulness and should step aside".

Never step aside for anyone. The list is indeed lengthy for those that should step aside, but you'll never be among them !!

Anonymous said...

Mr Newman sounds a lot like Nigel

Anonymous said...

15:04-York Region has no Hydro fund. And if it did…it would have been spent before the money was in a bank. It has a debt of $2.4+ billion. Lots of entitlements going around the Region.

Anonymous said...

My Agenda is missing a page too

Anonymous said...

@9:09
"Lots of entitlements going around the Region"
Would actually call it the real legacy of retiring unelected Chair Bill Fisch.