"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 23 August 2017

HOW HAS THE HUMAN RACE SURVIVED THIS LONG ?

Stephen Breyer,Associate Justice of the Supreme  Court was  Charlie Rose'guest recently ; for the whole hour. 

I'm not a well organized viewer . I don't know Charlie's guest until I turn the channel. It's bonus 
If the topic particularly interests me and double bonus when there's only one guest. 

The two faced each other on a stage which usually means a university is the venue and students are the audience. 

I like that. Over the years, a number of Chief Justices have been guests. I won't say all of them.  I don't re-call Clarence Thomas  but I might not have chosen to watch that one. 

Needless to say, the program always leaves me with lots to think about.

Much ground can be covered without commercials for an hour and without the usual clack and clamour and competition of panel.  Though it must be said on Charlie's program the group is 
usually well-co-ordinated and enjoys  listening to each other.  

This discussion was about being a Justice and an associate. Judge Breyer cited two of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor  conference rules;  "No- one speaks twice until everyone has spoken once"and  " Tomorrow is another day."

I could not convey the conversation in a blog post. I won't even try. I seriously recommend 
watching it on u-tube. 

But one piece of advice he gave, I think is critical  and equally important to both our communities. 

Asked if he had a message for the student audience he answered softly; 

 " I hope you find someone to love ,  a job that gives you satisfaction ....and  you 
contribute to public service." 

Then he added , almost pleading : 

"Teach civics in the schools . Show the children how government works."

No thoughtful American can allow their thoughts to stray far from the current critical political 
situation. We are all at risk. 

 I wonder if they remember Hillary's challenge during the 2016 campaign. 

Think of him , with nothing  between him and his finger near the nuclear button. 

And that's where we are at. Nothing intervenes between his finger and  the nuclear button. 

It's clear,  as it always was , the man is not in his right mind. 

The talking heads keep expounding what he should be doing, as if they expect him to become suddenly sensible. 

The electoral college which was supposed to stop such a candidate from assuming the Office of President , didn't. 

And a wise men can only offer general advice ....be happy ...make a contribution .. and teach the children about government. 

When I was a child ,the law required school attendance for nine years. Much was taught. Much was not.

 The main lesson was how to keep on learning and why it mattered.  

No comments: