"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 20 November 2017

I WANT TO WATCH CHARLIE ROSE DO WHAT HE DOES BEST

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "HELPFUL EXCHANGE": 

"Your knowledge suggests you are or were a policeman. You would likely not have laid that charge yourself but you're not unaccustomed to defending those who do. "

Wrong. I am not now nor have I ever been a police officer. However, ignorance of the law is not an excuse and as a driving enthusiast, I know where the limits of the law sit.  

Where you are wrong however is your assertion that the police are penalizing the young individual. Exceeding the speed limit by 50 km/h is an automatic suspension, vehicle impounding and a charge of stunt driving/racing. It is no different than the automatic 24 hour suspension of your license if you blow over 0.05 on a breathalyzer. The public as a whole (by electing the governments we have) has agreed to this level of automatic punishment.

No matter what age of the person doing the speeding, the same charges should be laid. 

Posted by Anonymous to  Our Town and Its Business at 20 November 2017 at 08:34

************************************

O.K.you're not  a policeman . So..we will just have to agree to disagree . A lifetime of experience
is behind me. It will not be ignored .

An elected official's first responsibility is to say nothing  to undermine public confidence in law and order. The police do not keep us safe. Our predilection to law and order does. But they do need our respect. 

I once covered public school board meetings as a reporter.  

Presenting  an award to a graduate student, chairman Don Cousins said his generation had made a horrible mess of things and the future rested with young people like the recipient. 

It must have been about this time of the year. My mind was occupied with the sacrifice of
the generation immediately ahead of my own. The comment was not appreciated.

Years passed and the chairman . He was a brave stalwart ...continued in public service in 
various roles including the last as Mayor of Markham .

The award winner would now be close to sixty without notable difference in society. 

My granddaughter and I debate. She argues I am not ordinary. I am egocentric.

I argue she doesn't know what she doesn't know. 

Charlie Rose has been accused and I've been asked why I have not commented. 

I've been gathering my thoughts. What do I know? 

I will no longer be able to enjoy something that matters  to me. 

I think what Charlie does is an art form.

 Stephanie feels Kevin Spacey is a brilliant actor. Both have apparently had careers cut short. 

She and I are of different generations but we each have a personal stake.  

Last night, I watched a video of David Letteman receiving the Mark Twain Award for Humour at 
the Kennedy Centre .

A few years ago,Letterman disclosed during a show, he had had an intimate relationship with a member of his staff. Because of his fame and wealth, blackmail was attempted. He took the bull 
by the horns. His career and his family survived 

Others have not. Many have been accused. 

Young women in media and political circles have had the platform for several decades now. 

They fought for equality. They got it. 

Newscasters are paired, one of each sex. 

Women in the military have the right to kill and be killed. Mothers go on tours of duty and leave infants and toddlers in someone else's care.  

They join fire departments. Have the same right to be out of shape and unfit as any man .

They become police officers and work until they can have a year's maternity leave after the birth. 
Office jobs and maternity uniforms are provided. They certainly can't get behind the steering wheel
of a patrol car. 

The right of women reporters to be in dressing rooms after a game, when players are showering and naked and generally in a state of disorderly conduct, was an issue. Not sure how that was resolved. 

They sought equality but apparently it wasn't all they wanted. 

The occupational hazards are not acceptable.The world of men must change to accommodate them. 

I'm waiting for someone to accuse Christopher Plummer, then try finding a second replacement 
for Kevin Spacey. 

I await a logical definition of a "slut walk". .. and the correct pronoun for a transgender person. 

When will art currently hanging in museums be removed forever because the artist was a miserable
wretch of an expletive -deleted male. 

Until that happens,I want Charlie Rose to continue doing what he does better than anyone.

If young women don't want to work for him, they shouldn't.

When he hires new staff , he should make sure they are straight males who won't be shocked to 
see him coming out of the shower naked. 

No comments: